Jason Stephens | August 25, 2023 | Personal Injury
You’ve probably seen advertisements for attorneys in Fort Worth, Texas, saying that they offer a free consultation. If you’ve been involved in a car accident or injured in some other accident, scheduling a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer is a great way to review your options with a professional.
Below is a brief overview of what to expect during your free consultation and tips on how to prepare for one.
What Happens During a Consultation with a Personal Injury Lawyer?
During a consultation, the personal injury lawyer or law firm will gather information about your accident, your injuries, and any property damage you incurred. You will also have the chance to ask questions about your case and the lawyer’s qualifications. Some questions the attorney or their representative may ask include:
- How did the accident occur?
- What physical injuries did you suffer?
- Have you been seen by medical professionals, and, if so, what have they said about your injuries?
- Who do you think was at fault?
- Did you gather any insurance information about the other driver, if you were injured in a car accident?
If the lawyer or their representative thinks your case has merit, they may suggest next steps to proceed with your case. If you’re unsure whether you have a strong case, a free consultation is a great way to gain a better understanding of your situation and your options. The lawyer or their representative can discuss with you who may be liable for your damages, the strength of your case, or additional information they need before they can fully evaluate your case.
How Should You Prepare for Your Consultation with an Attorney?
To get the most benefit out of your free consultation, arrive on time and bring any relevant documents regarding your accident. Be as honest as possible with the lawyer or their representative and answer their questions to the best of your ability.
You should also be prepared to ask several questions of your own during the consultation to help you decide if you want to move forward with your case.
Here are some questions you should consider asking during your consultation:
- How strong is my case? After going over the details of your accident or injury, you should ask the lawyer or their representative how strong they think your case is. This will help you make an informed decision whether to move forward with your case and will help manage your expectations.
- Who will be working on my case? You should ask which attorney will be handling your case so you know who you may be working with and can evaluate their credentials.
- How much is my case worth? It’s difficult for an attorney to estimate how much your case is worth this early. However, a good attorney or law firm will discuss the types of damages you may be entitled to compensation for, such as medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and property damage.
- How much do you charge? While your consultation is free, you should ask how much the attorney charges to take on your case. Personal injury lawyers usually work for a contingency fee, meaning you don’t pay anything upfront – but the lawyer takes a percentage of any recovery you get in the case.
- What type of personal injury law do you practice? There are many types of personal injury cases. Ask what type of experience the attorney has so you know if they have the relevant experience for your case.
- What is the law firm’s track record? Ask them what kinds of results they’ve gotten for similar clients in the past.
You should ask any other questions that are important to you to decide if you want to move forward with your case with this attorney. A free consultation is a great way for you to learn about your options with your personal injury case.
Contact Our Personal Injury Law Firm in Fort Worth, TX
If you’ve been injured in an accident in Fort Worth and need legal help, contact our Fort Worth personal injury lawyers at Stephens Law Personal Injury | Wrongful Death | Truck Accidents to schedule a free consultation.
Stephens Law Personal Injury | Wrongful Death | Truck Accidents
1300 S University Dr # 406
Fort Worth, TX 76107