Car Accident FAQs
Were you recently involved in a car accident in Fort Worth, Texas? Whether you have – or whether you’re looking for insight into the topic – you’ve come to the right place.
Perhaps the first thing to know is that you likely have legal options available to you for compensation after a car crash in the area. Texas is an “at-fault” state regarding car insurance, so filing a claim against the responsible driver could be possible.
Stephens Law Firm, PLLC is a premier personal injury law firm in Fort Worth, TX. Our Fort Worth car accident lawyer, Jason Stephens, has 20 years of experience in the field. Since our law firm was founded, we’ve collected over $100 million for our deserving clients.
We offer a free consultation to go over your case and provide legal advice; you can reach us by phone at (817) 420-7000 or by contacting us online. In the meantime, continue reading to learn the answers to some of the most common questions about car accidents.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
What you say and do immediately after a car accident in Fort Worth can have an impact on how any eventual claims for compensation play out down the line. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Alert the proper authorities by calling 911. A police report will be helpful for your claim, and this is required by law if the accident was serious enough.
- Move your vehicle to a safer spot off the roadway if you are able to.
- Receive medical attention even if you do not have an obvious injury. Not all injuries present themselves immediately, and medical evidence could be critical to the success of your claim.
- Do not apologize to anyone about the accident, and do not accept blame. Doing so could hurt your compensation claim.
- If it is safe to do so, collect any evidence that proves your damages. This might include things like taking pictures and videos of the accident scene as well as taking down the contact information of any eyewitnesses.
Contacting a Fort Worth car accident attorney is also a good idea, as a lawyer can provide you with further guidance based on the specifics of your incident.
How Do I Obtain a Car Accident Report?
There are two ways to obtain a car accident report in Fort Worth, TX. The first is via an online search, which you can find by clicking here. Obtaining a report online will cost $11.
You can also procure a certified report in person at the Police Records Division at 1000 Calvert Street; doing so will cost an additional $2.
You may also call (817) 420-7000 to check on the status of your report and to ensure that a report was made for your accident.
Do I Need To Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident?
Whether it is in your best interest to hire a lawyer following a car accident will come down to the facts and circumstances of your situation. For instance, you may not need to hire an attorney after a minor fender-bender accident that did not result in any injuries or significant property damage.
After any accident more serious than that, however, it may be worth it to hire an attorney. A few reasons why this is the case include:
- Hiring a lawyer will help to even the playing field with the other side. You’ll likely be up against an insurance company that is incentivized to minimize the value of your claim. They’ll utilize various strategies in order to escape liability whenever possible. An attorney can fight back on your behalf.
- If you hire an attorney, you will be able to focus on your medical recovery. A lawyer can handle virtually every aspect of your claim – the paperwork, communications, and negotiations – while you take the time you need to rest.
- A lawyer can file a lawsuit and bring your case to court if that’s in your best interest. Sometimes, filing a lawsuit can convince the other side to negotiate an adequate settlement.
Stephens Law Firm, PLLC offers a free consultation to go over your case. Ultimately, reaching out to learn about whether it is best to hire an attorney in your case won’t cost you anything. Since we work on contingency, we only receive attorney’s fees if we win or settle your case – so it only makes sense for us to take on your case if it does for you as well.
What Is the Deadline for Filing a Claim?
In the State of Texas, you will generally have two years from the date of the accident to file a claim against the at-fault party. This is the deadline established by the state’s statute of limitations. Be sure not to file your claim too late, otherwise, you won’t be able to pursue compensation for your injuries.
However, keep in mind that there are exceptions to this deadline that may apply to your case. Feel free to reach out to our law office in Fort Worth if you would like further clarification on how much time you have to file in your situation.
What if I Am Being Blamed for the Accident?
In Fort Worth, Texas, you can still receive compensation even if the accident was partially your fault. This is true only up to a certain point, however. The state currently operates under a modified comparative negligence standard with a 51% bar to recovery.
You’ll be assigned a percentage of fault for the car accident; if this percentage is 51% or more, you cannot recover compensation. If it is less than that, your compensation award can be reduced based on that percentage. So if you are assigned 25% of the blame for the crash, your award can be reduced by 25%.
Contributory fault is often one of the key issues involved in car accident cases, as the at-fault party can reduce their liability significantly (or even completely) if they successfully blame you. Hiring a skilled car accident lawyer will allow you to effectively combat these allegations.
Schedule a Free Case Review With an Experienced Fort Worth Car Accident Lawyer
You deserve compensation from the at-fault driver after a car accident in Fort Worth, Texas. Our award-winning Fort Worth car accident lawyer has been helping personal injury victims in the area for decades. Our legal team is confident that we can help you with your case as well.
Contact us today to schedule a completely free, no-obligation case assessment. We can take your call 24/7 at (817) 420-7000 if you’re ready to get started.