Has someone you love recently been killed in a fatal accident in Weatherford, TX? Do you believe that their death could have been avoided, but happened because someone was careless? If so, you could be entitled to a substantial monetary award. Stephens Law Firm, PLLC will help you navigate this very difficult time and demand the money you need and deserve.
Don’t hesitate to contact our compassionate Weatherford wrongful death lawyers to arrange a time to discuss your case in detail. Your first consultation is free, so call now.
How Will Stephens Law Firm, PLLC Help Me After a Fatal Accident in Weatherford?
It’s never easy to lose someone you love and care about. It might be most difficult when a death occurs suddenly and without warning because you never had a chance to say goodbye. Sadly, fatal accidents happen far too often in and around Weatherford. They happen because people do not exercise the care and caution that’s necessary to keep others safe. If someone you love has been taken from you because someone else was negligent, Stephens Law Firm, PLLC will work day and night to make them pay.
Money will not bring the person you love back to you. It will not be a magic cure-all. However, we’ve seen just how much of an impact it can make in the weeks, months, and years that follow a fatal accident. It can provide financial stability for years to come. In some cases, it can also provide a little bit of justice and punish the person responsible for your suffering.
Why choose the Weatherford personal injury lawyers at Stephens Law Firm, PLLC to help with your wrongful death case? We’re different from other law offices in Weatherford. For more than 22 years, empathy and compassion have been the driving forces in our legal practice. We take the time to really engage with our clients and listen to their stories. We know that we represent real people who are suffering. To us, it’s about more than money. We strive to make a difference in our clients’ lives in any way that we can.
As we navigate your wrongful death case, we will:
- Give You Time to Grieve: You need to focus on coming to terms with life after a loved one dies. That’s hard to do when you’re trying to navigate a complex legal claim. Our attorneys will handle every aspect of your personal injury case. We’ll investigate, handle all communication with interested parties, and negotiate on your behalf. We’ll keep you fully informed, but take the stress of the case off of your shoulders.
- Bring in Experts: Expert witnesses can make a huge difference in the strength – and ultimate success – of your wrongful death case. So, we’ll bring in any experts who can help us understand what caused your accident, identify at-fault parties, and determine what your case is worth. We’ll spare no expense in making your wrongful death case as persuasive as we can.
- Stand Up to Insurance Companies: For more than two decades, we’ve been going toe-to-toe with scrupulous and reckless insurance companies in Texas. Insurers have one goal in mind – to devalue or deny a victim’s request for compensation after an accident. The only way to make them pay is by being aggressive and making them play by the rules. We’ll do exactly that as we negotiate on your behalf.
- Bring Your Case to a Jury: At Stephens Law Firm, PLLC, we never take the threat of a trial off the table. That’s because our attorneys are a force to be reckoned with in the courtroom. In fact, we’ve secured some of the highest jury verdicts in Texas and national history. Insurance companies and other attorneys in the area know this. The last thing they want is to go up against our award-winning trial lawyers in court. However, if they don’t cooperate and offer you a fair deal, that’s exactly what they’ll have to do.
We Handle All Wrongful Death Matters in Weatherford
Wrongful death essentially means a death occurred because of someone’s negligent, reckless, careless, unskilled, or wrongful actions. At Stephens Law Firm, PLLC, we represent clients who are struggling with the loss of a loved one as a result of a:
- Car accident
- Truck accident
- Brain injuries
- Bicycle accident
- Pedestrian accident
- Workplace accident
- Construction accident
- Oil and gas field accident
- Slip and fall accident
- Dog bite
- Defective product, and more.
We know that an unexpected loss can be devastating. Our team will be there for you every step of the way. All you have to do is give our Weatherford law firm a call to schedule a time to sit down and discuss your case.
Not Everyone Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
In Texas, the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit is preserved for close, intimate family members. This includes:
- The victim’s child(ren)
- The victim’s spouse, and/or
- The victim’s parent(s).
What if an accident victim had no surviving children, spouse, or parents? In that case, the executor of the victim’s estate can file a claim. Any compensation that’s recovered through a wrongful death claim would become part of the victim’s estate and paid out to beneficiaries in accordance with a will or Texas state law.
How Long After a Fatal Accident Do I Have to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
Keep in mind that you will not have an unlimited amount of time to file a lawsuit after your loved one’s fatal accident. In Texas, the statute of limitations for wrongful death lawsuits is two years from the date of death. This may or may not be the date of the accident that caused your loved one’s death. It could also be days, weeks, or months later, on the date that they ultimately succumb to their injuries.
You will be barred from recovering any money from at-fault parties if you do not file your claim on time. We know things are tough right now, but it’s important to get started on your case as soon as you can. Give our caring legal team a call to learn more about how we can help you navigate these difficult days and preserve your legal rights at the same time.
Damages Available to Families After a Fatal Weatherford Accident
You shouldn’t have to worry about how you’re going to take care of your day-to-day expenses after losing someone you love, especially if that person supported you financially. When you file a wrongful death lawsuit in Texas, you can ask to receive compensation for:
- The costs associated with a funeral
- Medical bills paid to care for your loved one if they survived their injuries for any period of time
- The value of income, benefits, services, and goods you will lose because of your loved one’s death, and
- A loss of inheritance.
Losing a loved one doesn’t just have a financial impact. It can take a toll on your emotional well-being, as well. That’s why you may also be entitled to compensation for your emotional distress, pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and your loss of companionship and love.
In some wrongful death cases, punitive damages may also be available.
Damages in wrongful death cases can be difficult to value. We will do everything to make sure that you’re fully compensated for your suffering and losses. How? Our Tarrant County law firm will enlist the services of reputable experts. They can help us understand how your loved one’s death will affect your life and figure out what your case is likely worth.
What Happens If My Loved One is Blamed For Their Death?
As terrible as it may be, other parties might attempt to blame your loved one for causing (or contributing) their own death. This is done in an effort to get out of paying you the compensation you deserve. Under Texas state law, anyone who contributes to an accident can be held financially accountable. This includes victims who are injured or die. A victim’s damages are reduced to the degree they are allocated blame. If a victim is assigned more than 50 percent of the responsibility for an accident, a financial recovery is prohibited.
So, for example, let’s say your loved one is allocated 25 percent of the blame for their fatal accident. Your damages, in turn, will be reduced by 25 percent.
Here’s what this means for you – it’s important to stand up and fight these allegations. Our team will work tirelessly to minimize and downplay your family member’s role in the accident that caused their death. We’ll search for any evidence to shift blame to others. The more successful we are, the more money you can potentially recover.
Let Our Compassionate Weatherford Wrongful Death Lawyers Help You
If you’ve lost a spouse, child, or parent in an accident in Weatherford, Texas, Stephens Law Firm, PLLC can help you fight to secure a financial settlement or award. Give our Weatherford personal injury attorneys a call today to set up a free initial case assessment. When we sit down with you, we’ll gladly explain your legal options and help you figure out how to move forward during this difficult time in your life.