Jackknife Accident Lawyer in Fort Worth, TX
You cannot avoid sharing the road with commercial trucks. Thousands of commercial trucks travel through Fort Worth, TX, each week. The trucking industry is essential for commerce in the United States.
However, accidents involving a tractor-trailer or semi-truck can be devastating for accident victims. In cases involving a truck wreck, the majority of the people injured or killed are those not in the commercial truck.
For more than 22 years, the Fort Worth jackknife accident lawyers of Stephens Law have fought to recover maximum compensation for our clients. Our legal team has recovered more than $100 million in settlements and jury verdicts. We have extensive experience handling truck accident claims.
Table of Contents
How Our Fort Worth Personal Injury Lawyers Help Truck Accident Victims
With decades of experience handling truck accident cases, our legal team understands how to investigate truck crashes. We conduct an extensive investigation to search for evidence proving truck drivers, trucking companies, and other parties are liable for damages caused by a truck accident.
We have the resources to go up against large insurance companies and defense teams, who are working to protect the best interests of the parties who caused your injury. Our Fort Worth truck accident lawyers at Stephens Law know what it takes to win a case.
When you hire Stephens Law to handle your case, you can expect us to:
- Immediately begin an investigation of the truck crash to gather and preserve evidence
- Monitor the investigations by federal, state, and local law enforcement and government agencies
- Identify all parties who might be liable for damages
- File claims with insurance companies and other parties and handle all matters related to those claims
- Work with accident reconstructionists, engineers, trucking experts, and other expert witnesses to gather evidence
- Document the extent of your damages by working with your doctors and medical experts
- Calculate an accurate value for your personal injury claim
- Aggressively negotiate for top settlement amounts
If the other parties refuse to agree to fair settlement terms, we can take your case to court by filing a personal injury lawsuit. We are unafraid to take on the trucking companies and their insurance providers in court.
Call us today to schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced Fort Worth truck accident attorney.
What Are Jackknife Crashes?
A jackknife truck accident involves the truck cab and trailer ending up at a 90-degree angle after the truck goes into a skid. The truck resembles the angle when you fold a pocket knife (i.e., jackknife accidents). In some cases, a jackknife crash can also result in a rollover truck accident.
All large truck accidents can cause catastrophic injuries. However, when a trailer swings around during a jackknife crash, it can “sweep” cars along its path. A jackknife truck accident can involve multiple lanes of traffic.
The cars could be crushed between the cab and trailer, causing the occupants to sustain traumatic and life-threatening injuries. Also, a rollover as a result of a jackknife crash could crush a passenger vehicle.
Common Injuries Caused by a Jackknife Truck Accident in Fort Worth
Individuals involved in a truck crash can sustain numerous injuries. The circumstances of the crash determine the types and severity of injuries. A jackknife rig can cause injuries such as:
- Crushing injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Severe burns and disfigurement
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Broken bones and fractures
- Internal bleeding
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Victims of a jackknife crash might require multiple surgeries and extensive rehabilitative therapy to recover from their injuries. Sometimes, a person injured in a jackknife accident could sustain permanent impairments. As a result, the person might require long-term nursing care and personal care.
Sadly, some injuries caused by a jackknifed rig could result in wrongful death.
What Causes Jackknife Truck Accidents in Fort Worth?
Many factors can contribute to a jackknife accident. The factors indicate who is responsible for the cause of the truck crash. Common causes of jackknife crashes include:
- Weather conditions can cause truck drives to lose control of the truck
- High rates of speed
- Steep angles and sharp curves
- Truck driver negligence, including distracted driving, impaired driving, and drowsy driving
- Defective truck parts and equipment malfunctions
- Improperly secured loads that shift during transit
- Other motorists who cut off trucks or slam on the brakes in front of a semi-truck
One or more parties could be liable for a jackknife truck accident. Parties that could be liable include:
- Truck drivers
- Loaders and shippers
- Trucking companies
- Repair and maintenance companies
- Truck and parts manufacturers
- Federal and state agencies (faulty or defective roads)
- Other motorists
Our legal team investigates each factor that contributed to the cause of the crash. Then, we identify the parties responsible for those factors and pursue claims against them for damages.
What Damages Can I Receive for a Jackknife Accident in Fort Worth?
You can recover compensation for your economic damages, including:
- Medical bills
- Nursing care
- Rehabilitative therapies
- Personal care
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Lost wages and benefits
- Diminished earning potential
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Fort Worth Jackknife Accident Lawyers
Jackknife truck accidents can cause serious injuries and substantial damages. Our legal team at Stephens Law works to get you the money you deserve. Call our law firm today to schedule your free consultation with an experienced Fort Worth jackknife accident attorney.