Jason Stephens | September 7, 2020 | Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can be some of the most traumatic traffic-related incidents. Not only can they cause physical injury, but the mental and emotional impact of a motorcycle accident can be devastating.
Dealing with a motorcycle accident’s aftermath can be a headache, especially if you’re already experiencing severe injuries or financial strain. While hiring an attorney after a motorcycle accident isn’t always necessary, it can help relieve some of the burdens of recovering damages after an accident.
Attempting to settle a motorcycle accident on your own is a risky venture. Insurance companies will fight tooth and nail to get you to accept lower compensation. Hiring a personal injury lawyer to handle your case can help ensure you receive the damages you are entitled to.
Immediately After the Accident
Whether or not you decide to hire a lawyer, it is important to protect yourself in the aftermath of a motorcycle accident. Attorneys recommend taking the following steps to ensure the safety of your health and the security of your case.
- Consult a doctor. Getting immediate medical care may seem obvious, as it is always recommended to see a doctor if you are injured. But consulting a doctor about the nature of your injuries can help provide insight into who is at fault in an accident.
- Avoid signing anything. Signing off on a deal before consulting an attorney can greatly reduce the likelihood that you’ll receive adequate compensation.
- Do not let an insurance company record you. You are well within your right to deny being recorded, and it is always recommended that you do so. You might slip up and say something compromising that the insurance company can use to bolster their claims against you.
- File a report. Failure to file a police report can hurt your chances of receiving compensation. Additionally, a police report can help preserve details of the incident that may otherwise be forgotten after a short period of time.
Insurance companies often try to intimidate claimants out of fighting for the damages they rightly deserve. Following the steps listed to protect yourself will help you walk away with the best possible settlement outcome.
Why Should I Hire a Lawyer After a Motorcycle Accident?
Most people aren’t exactly experts when it comes to traffic accidents and the law. Attempting to file a claim or go up against big insurance companies on your own can often lead to being swindled out of a settlement you deserve. Insurance companies are extremely skilled in getting people to settle for less than they deserve. Hiring a lawyer to fight your battle will ensure you walk away with the highest possible amount based on the details of your accident.
What Will an Attorney Do For Me?
Attorneys have your best interest in mind. They take carefully calculated steps to ensure you earn the damages you are entitled to.
As a first step, an attorney will delineate your options, so you can choose what is best for you. This is also the time to raise any questions or concerns you may have, and your attorney can answer you plainly and openly.
Frequently, attorneys review cases for free, so you can decide whether or not hiring an attorney is right for you.
Helpful services an attorney can provide include:
- Having your accident scene investigated. Investigating the site of an accident helps determine who is at fault. Insurance companies often investigate accident scenes for any sort of evidence to suggest that the injured party is at fault. Having an attorney investigate the site ensures you will not be wrongfully blamed.
- Fighting for you in court. If it comes to it, your attorney will represent you in court. However, most personal injury cases end in settlement.
- Documenting evidence and filling out complicated paperwork. Legal paperwork is often esoteric and full of hard to understand jargon. Having an attorney fill out your paperwork means that important details will not be overlooked.
- Negotiating with insurance companies. Attorneys are specially trained to fight against the persuasive rhetoric insurance companies use to get claimants to submit to a smaller settlement.
Ultimately, consulting an attorney will help you know your rights before engaging in any legal battle. If you are already overwhelmed with a motorcycle accident’s sheer emotional weight, hiring an attorney to give you peace of mind is worthwhile.
What Sort of Compensation Can I Receive?
Hiring an experienced attorney can result in your recovering damages that include:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Physical and emotional pain
- Damage to property
How much compensation you are able to receive will depend on the circumstances of the accident and the degree to which you are at fault. In Texas, damages are calculated using a comparative fault system. This means that sharing blame for your crash will affect your ability to recover damages. It could even bar a recovery altogether. An attorney can help to defend you and advocate for full compensation.